Train operator Merseyrail says it will be running services on Boxing Day this year as it reveals its timetables for the Christmas period. Tony McDonough reports
Merseyrail will operate services every day over the festive period with the exception of Christmas Day.
In collaboration with the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority, Boxing Day trains will be running once again. There will be a limited service between 9am and 6.30pm, calling at selected stations across the network.
Services will run every 30 minutes calling at the following stations:
- Chester and Ellesmere Port lines: Services will start and terminate at Hooton calling at Bromborough, Bebington, Rock Ferry, Birkenhead Central, James St and Liverpool Central. There will no services between Ellesmere Port or Chester and Hooton.
- New Brighton line: New Brighton, Birkenhead North, Conway Park, James Street and Liverpool Central.
- West Kirby line: West Kirby, Leasowe, Birkenhead North, Conway Park, James St and Liverpool Central.
- Southport line: Southport, Birkdale, Ainsdale, Formby, Blundellsands and Crosby, Waterloo, Sandhills, Liverpool Central.
- Hunts Cross line: Liverpool South Parkway, St Michaels and Liverpool Central
- Ormskirk line: Ormskirk, Maghull, Aintree, Orrell Park, Kirkdale, Sandhills and Liverpool Central.
- Kirkby line: Kirkby, Fazakerley, Kirkdale, Sandhills and Liverpool Central.
There will be no train services on Christmas Day. On New Year’s Day a 30-minute Sunday service will run.
As has been the case in previous year’s Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve will see services finish earlier than usual at approximately 8pm. A normal timetable will be in place on all other days.
A range of “festive surprises” also await those travelling over the Christmas period. From a bauble wall at Liverpool Central to Father Christmas and festive carol singers, Merseyrail will be going all out to spread festive cheer at its stations.
Suzanne Grant, commercial director at Merseyrail, said: “As people across the Liverpool city region prepare to enjoy the festive season, we are thrilled to be able to offer Boxing Day services this Christmas.
“Only a very limited number of trains operate nationally on Boxing Day, and I’d encourage those thinking of travelling to the Boxing Day sales, festive or sporting events to consider using our services to get there.”
For full timetable information, Christmas shopping and event guides click here.