Monday January 15 is this year’s ‘Blue Monday’ – the most miserable day of the year – and Liverpool BID Company is looking to lift spirits with free coffee and train tickets. Tony McDonough reports
Liverpool BID Company is offering free coffee and Merseyrail tickets to chase away the January blues – but you have to be quick.
This coming Monday, January 15, has been designated as this year’s ‘Blue Monday’. It is the day of the year considered to be the most miserable. Christmas is just a memory and weeks of winter still stretch before us.
However, the BID is looking to put a smile on peoples’ faces on the day with free coffee, train tickets, local live music and a lunchtime yoga session all donated by city centre businesses. They are rebranding the day as ‘Yellow Monday’.
The 2,000 Merseyrail return tickets were available on a first-come, first-served basis. January 11, was the last day to register so that deadline has now passed. Full list of activities is as follows:
- 100 free coffees to giveaway with Bean Coffee at their three locations, Chapel Street, St Pauls Square, Princes Dock.
- Live music from local artist, Mike Blue, at Moorfields Station from 8am to 9am.
- Pastry giveaway with WYLDE Coffee, for the first 100 individuals passing Exchange Flags on way to work – starting at 8.30am.
- Morning Mindfulness Session in the Liver Building with Mindfulness Liverpool, followed by a trip up to RLB360 for views of Liverpool – starting at 11am.
- Lunchtime Yoga with YinYan in Horton House, at 12:15pm to 1pm.
- Soundbath at Liverpool Parish Church, 5.45pm to 6.45pm.
- Social media competition to nominate a colleague for a bouquet of flowers on January 15.
- Yellow Monday uplifting office playlist.
Katie Bentley, director of strategic partnerships and communications at Liverpool BID Company, said: “It might have started as a marketing campaign, but we know that the January Blues can be part of low moods.
“The environment we live in has a real impact on our sense of wellbeing, and knowing that we are part of a community that cares about one another gives us a sense of purpose and belonging.
“Music, mindfulness and a surprise bit of joy can do wonders for the mood and we wanted to give the city a chance to say goodbye to Blue Monday.”
Click here for full details on all the Yellow Monday offers and activities.