Chaps, if you don’t want to leave the house looking like a holy show then let Michael Frackowiak, founder of Men’s Finest Pocket Square, show you the path to sartorial excellence.
If you spend enough time around Liverpool city centre then sooner or later you would come across the always immaculately-attired Michael Frackowiak.
Michael is the founder of Men’s Finest Pocket Square, a local business that designs, makes and sells bow ties and pocket squares (little hankies that sit in the pocket of your suit jacket).
His commitment to sartorial excellence is total and his mission is to persuade us chaps to make a bit more of an effort when we get dressed each morning.
To this end, Michael offers the following 32 tips:
1. Buy nicely fitted clothes. If not, go to tailors. This is important. One of the best men’s fashion tips. Straight out there. Remember it!
2. There is no such a thing as being under-dressed or over-educated.
3. Unbutton the bottom button of your jacket – it is not supposed to be buttoned.
4. Don’t trust anyone with washing your shirts. Do it yourself.
5. Use Vanish Oxi Action for keeping the shirt bright white.
6. Use Vanish Gold Pre-Treat for removing underarm stains.
7. Brown shoes = brown belt. Black shoes = black belt.
8. Polish your shoes. Make sure you have got all the tools. This is how you do it.
9. When you buy a suit that doesn’t fit you well, you now know what to do. See step no.1
10. If you paid £670 or more for a standard suit – you overpaid. Not so much of men’s fashion tips but just common sense, really.
11. You are doing extremely well if your co-workers are asking you about your clothes, and where did you buy them.
12. If strangers notice your style – you are doing great.
13. For ultimate test of your fashion sense, however, go to a Porsche dealer and ask for the test drive on the spot. If they say Yes – You must look like you can effort it! Well done!
14. Car sales people are going to bow to you.
15. People smile to you more often when you dressed well. Not laugh – smile.
16. You are going to get a surprisingly generous offer at the hotel, restaurant or a shop if you dress well.
17. Other sex is more likely to flirt with you.
18. Gym clothes could also be fitted and you can wear it with pride.
19. However only to the gym, though.
20. Buy custom tailored shirt. I have used Modern Tailor in the past. 7 days delivery starts from £19.
21. Get more accessories and you will see how your current wardrobe is changing.
22. You can now get rid of your silky, shiny tie that you had since you were 12, bought by auntie Delma.
23. Pay more attention to the actual fabric of what the clothes are made from.
24. Dry clean your suit once in a while. But remember, do them as they came; a suit = pants + jacket. Dry clean them together.
25. You can play using your colour of your sunglasses, both lenses and frames.
26. People are arguing less with you when you dressed-up smart.
27. How many parties have you been invited to last year? Being more fashionable = more parties invitation = yet another men’s fashion tips to remember.
28. Stop watching television. Nothing to do with being fashionable. Just a general remark.
29. Start looking into GQ and Men’s Health for fashion tips.
30. Others would want to take selfies with you when you dressed nicely.
31. Negotiate more. If you are dressed well, you can better deals.
32. Use colours. Pair plain blue and reds with yellows and creams. Play with them.