Look super sharp for Liverpool’s famous fashion event with tips from Union 22 boss
Liverpool-based men’s fashion expert John-Paul Cooper offers his invaluable advice for Liverpool lads ahead of Aintree’s world famous Grand National meeting starting next next. Jennie Lewis reports
Liverpool is often referred to as one of the UK’s most fashion-conscious city’s, and as the world-famous Grand National approaches, scores of scousers will be busily preparing their outfits to step out in style with hopes of scooping the title for ‘best dressed’.
And, with only one male amongst the winners in the last 10 years at Aintree, we’re asking Union 22 boss and former Wade Smith stylist, John-Paul Cooper, what Liverpool lads can be doing to be in the running for this year’s best dressed crown.
Speaking to the Liverpool Business News, men’s fashion expert, John-Paul Cooper, said: “The eyes of the world will be on Liverpool next month so it is important that the guys as well as the girls are looking sharp at Aintree.
“I spent years at Wade Smith helping hundreds of men get the right-look for the races and we’re now doing the same at Union 22 with a specific range of Aintree outfits. The trick is to keep it simple.”
John Paul has come up with five these top five tips for Liverpool lads heading to Aintree:
- Always wear a jacket – it is basic etiquette for a race meeting
- Show a little cuff – shirt sleeves have to touch the base of your thumb, trouser length is important too and should always just sit on your shoe
- The width of your tie should match the width of the lapel on your jacket
- The bottom button of your waistcoat or jacket should never been fastened – anything else looks uncool
- Always have a pocket square in your pocket but it is a fashion disaster to match it with your tie
Mr Cooper, who opened Union 22 menswear store on Victoria Street last year, added: “You can’t go wrong with these basic tips. I’m looking forward to seeing Liverpool do itself proud in the fashion stakes again in April.”