Pro Liverpool donates 600 meals after postponement of Cannes Do

Cannes Do was due to take n Friday,  March 20 at St George’s Hall but was postponed due to the coronaviris outbreak and now all the meals have gone to those in need. Tony McDonough reports

Cannes Do
600 Cannes Do meals were handed over to Bay Tree Cookery Academy CIC

 

Liverpool’s annual Cannes Do lunch was postponed due to the coronavirus crisis but the food prepared for the 600 guests at the event did not go to waste.

Cannes Do takes place every March and is timed to coincide with the MIPIM property expo that takes place in Cannes. This year’s lunch was scheduled to take place on Friday,  March 20 at St George’s Hall and attended by Liverpool’s professional community.

However, due to the growing COVID-19 outbreak, organiser Professional Liverpool pulled the plug just days before. The food had already been paid for and prepared, so the organisation took the decision to donate it to Bay Tree Cookery Academy CIC for distribution to those in need.

Newly-appointed chief executive of Professional Liverpool, Andrew Ruffler, said: “At a time when so many community organisations are struggling to provide for our region’s most vulnerable, we were determined to transform an unfortunate and unforeseen situation into a positive.”

The donation comprised 600 meals’ worth of food that was due to be served up at the Cannes Do lunch, but was able to serve many more following the handover to Bay Tree Cookery Academy CIC. The delivery was made by local catering company, Dine, on Saturday, March 21, and distributed to local community centres, including the Joseph Lappin Centre in Old Swan.

Michelle O’Dwyer, from Bay Tree Cookery Academy CIC, said: “Thank you to Professional Liverpool and its members for donating loads of amazing nutritious food to help support our local community at such a difficult time. We have been working with local groups to ensure the food has been donated to individuals and communities most at need.”

A new date for the Cannes Do lunch has not yet been confirmed. The rescheduled event is expected to take place later this year. Further announcements will be made via the Professional Liverpool website.

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.